CEPT and European Amateur Operations

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun May 25 05:34:20 CDT 2008

That document does not seem to have been updated to reflect changes
that have evolved since the international 2003 dropping of the
requirement for morse code.

Where does that leave a no-code Extra like me?  Eligible for Class 1?
Class 2?  Just out of luck?



Paul Rinaldo <prinaldo at mindspring.com> writes:

> Joe,
> To complete the picture, see:
> http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/iarp-app.pdf
> which wraps this into the International Amateur Radio Permit, something I've
> had a hand in over the years.
> Paul
>           -----Original Message-----
>      From: Joseph Bento @kirtland.com>
>      Sent: May 24, 2008 11:15 PM
>      To: amrad-tacos AMRAD @amrad.org>
>      Subject: CEPT and European Amateur Operations
>      Hey all,
>      During my past years at Hamvention, I never considered what rulings
>      are in place that allow our European visitors to operate legally, or
>      rules that allow us to legally talk to them via radio whilst
>      visiting.  I haven't been the most active ham over the past several
>      years, so I was completely unaware of a European program known as
>      CEPT  (Conference of European Postal & Telecommunications)  The USA
>      has no voice or authority with CEPT, though it recognizes the
>      participating countries, and CEPT recognizes the USA.  Member
>      nations may operate their amateur stations when on holiday in the
>      USA.   
>      There is a caveat for American amateurs visiting Europe,
>      however.  CEPT member nations used to honor all American license
>      classes. Unfortunately, due to our dumbing down of the written test,
>      elimination of morse code, etc, this is no longer the
>      case.  American Advanced and Extra class licenses maintain full
>      operating privileges whilst visiting CEPT member European
>      nations.  American Novice and General class licenses are no longer
>      recognized.   USA hams visiting Europe (and I believe European hams
>      visiting the USA) must carry their original issued license as well
>      as a CEPT document (available for download, and printed in English,
>      French, and German) stating their authority to operate in the
>      country they are visiting in accordance with CEPT.
>      I was still thinking along the lines of the old reciprocal licensing
>      program.  CEPT seems much easier.  Reading through the CEPT
>      documentation also makes one think that the USA is in essence a
>      European nation, geography and voting rights
>      notwithstanding.  Perhaps the world is becoming a friendlier place
>      after all.
>      73,Joe, N6DGYPleasant Grove, UT
> _______________________________________________
> Tacos mailing list
> Tacos at amrad.org
> http://www.amrad.org/mailman/listinfo/tacos

More information about the Tacos mailing list